Chicago, Illinois–Empower Illinois is excited to share an anonymous, generous donor is sponsoring a scholarship donation match totaling $666,000 for eligible Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools (LMAIS) in the Chicagoland area. Gifts made through Empower Illinois for the Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program at eligible schools will be doubled up to $50,000 per school until matching funds are depleted.
“We are proud to partner with the LMAIS network to help students from low-income and working-class communities access their best-fit school,” said Anthony Holter, Empower Illinois President. “Matching gift opportunities spark greater community involvement and result in extremely successful school-based fundraising for tax credit scholarships.”
Illinois’ bipartisan Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program provides need-based scholarships to kids from low-income and working-class families to attend the private school of their choice. Program donors earn a 75% state tax credit on their gift. Donors can also direct their donations to a school of their choice.
Donations must be made between May 1 and June 30, 2022, or when the match cap is met at each school to be eligible for the match. For more information on how to donate visit empowerillinois.org/donate or call 800-616-7606.
Schools Eligible for the $50,000 Match
- Baker Demonstration School – Wilmette
- Beacon Academy – Evanston
- Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School – Chicago
- Brickton Montessori School – Chicago
- Chiaravalle Montessori School – Evanston
- Chicago Academy for the Arts – Chicago
- Chicago Jewish Day School – Chicago
- Chicago Waldorf School – Chicago
- Creative Childrens Academy (Quest Academy) – Palatine
- Elgin Academy – Elgin
- Frances Xavier Warde School – Chicago
- Lake Forest Academy – Lake Forest
- Lycée Français de Chicago – Chicago
- Morgan Park Academy – Chicago
- Near North Montessori School – Chicago
- North Park Elementary School – Chicago
- Rochelle Zell Jewish HS – Deerfield
- Rogers Park Montessori School – Chicago
- Roycemore School – Evanston
- Sacred Heart Schools – The Academy and Hardey Prep Sheridan Road – Chicago
- Sager Solomon Schechter Day School – Northbrook
- Science and Arts Academy – Des Plaines
- University of Chicago Laboratory School – Chicago
- Wolcott School – Chicago
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart – Lake Forest
Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program Data
- Since 2018, more than 31,000 scholarships totaling more than $257 million have been awarded.
- The average scholarship recipient’s family income is $43,000 for a family of four.
- The most common donation is $1,000.
- Currently, more than 24,000 students across Illinois are waiting in line for a scholarship.
About Empower Illinois
Empower Illinois is a statewide education policy nonprofit and Scholarship Granting Organization created to serve Illinois’ children through the state’s tax credit scholarship program. Empower Illinois’ mission is to expand quality education options for low-income and working-class families of Illinois. Illinois’ Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program was created in 2017 to benefit children whose educational options are limited by household income or ZIP Code. Empower Illinois serves as a conduit for processing donations, scholarship awards and program compliance for approximately 91 percent of all recognized private schools in Illinois.