Chicago, Illinois–Empower Illinois is excited to share an anonymous, generous donor is sponsoring a scholarship donation match totaling $65,000 for eligible, private K-12 schools in the western suburbs. Gifts made through Empower Illinois for the Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program at eligible schools will be doubled until matching funds are depleted.
“We are proud to partner with local schools to help students from low-income and working-class communities access their best-fit school,” said Anthony Holter, Empower Illinois President. “Matching gift opportunities grow community involvement and spark extremely successful school-based fundraising for tax credit scholarships.”
Illinois’ bipartisan Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program provides need-based scholarships to kids from low-income and working-class families to attend the private school of their choice. Program donors earn a 75% state tax credit on their gift. Individuals can also direct their donations to a school of their choice.
To qualify, donations must be made between July 1 and August 31, 2022, until the match cap is met at each eligible school. For more information on how to donate visit empowerillinois.org/donate or call 800-616-7606.
Schools Eligible for the Matching Gift
- Patrick School (St. Charles)
- Aurora Central Catholic High School (Aurora)
- Pope St. John Paul II – North (Aurora)
- Pope St. John Paul II – South (Aurora)
- Edward Catholic Prep (Elgin)
- Thomas More School (Elgin)
- Rita of Cascia School (Aurora)
- Catherine of Siena School (West Dundee)
- Mary School (Elgin)
- Holy Cross School (Batavia)
Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program Data
- Since 2018, more than 31,000 scholarships totaling more than $257 million have been awarded.
- The average scholarship recipient’s family income is $43,000 for a family of four.
- The most common donation is $1,000.
- Currently, more than 24,000 students across Illinois are waiting in line for a scholarship.
About Empower Illinois
Empower Illinois is a statewide education policy nonprofit and Scholarship Granting Organization created to serve Illinois’ children through the state’s tax credit scholarship program. Empower Illinois’ mission is to expand quality education options for low-income and working-class families of Illinois. Illinois’ Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program was created in 2017 to benefit children whose educational options are limited by household income or ZIP Code. Empower Illinois serves as a conduit for processing donations, scholarship awards and program compliance for approximately 91 percent of all recognized private schools in Illinois.