Record Year for Scholarships Awarded and Dollars Raised
Chicago, Illinois– Empower Illinois is excited to release its Year Five Impact Report, which details the organization’s success and highlights the undeniable need for the Tax Credit Scholarship Program in Illinois. Empower Illinois awarded a record-high 7,018 scholarships to kids from low-income and working-class families across the state and raised over $51.3 million dollars.
“Empower Illinois awarded more scholarships and raised more money in 2022 than any year to date,” said Anthony Holter, President of Empower Illinois. “We are extremely grateful to partner with dedicated schools, families, and donors who helped us achieve these record-breaking numbers.”
The Year Five Impact Report highlights the significant demand for the program and breaks down scholarship applicant and awardee data by region. Key findings in the report include:
- Empower Illinois awarded 7,018 scholarships in 2022.
- It would require more than $210,185,892 to award a scholarship to each of the 31,948 students in line for the 2022-2023 school year.
- The average scholarship amount was $6,579.
- 94 schools raised enough funds to award their entire waitlist, and 249 schools increased the number of students receiving an award.
- 67% percent of scholarship recipients qualify for the Federal free or reduced-price meal program.
- One in nine scholarship recipients is a unique learner (IEP, gifted, or English language learner).
- The average family household income of a scholarship recipient is $45,046, or 170 percent of the Federal Poverty Level.
- Since the Tax Credit Scholarship Program began, the program has raised over $308 million statewide, including $227 million raised by Empower Illinois, to support education options for low-income and working-class families.
- The average donation to Empower Illinois is $14,440, and the most common donation is $1,000.
- 83% of donors indicated the Tax Credit Scholarship Program allowed them to increase their donations to schools, and 94% said they planned to give again.
The sixth year of the program is underway, with 24,000 students already in line for a Fall 2023-Spring 2024 scholarship. To read the full report visit: https://bit.ly/Y5Report
About Empower Illinois
Empower Illinois is a statewide education policy nonprofit and Scholarship Granting Organization formed to serve Illinois’ children through the state’s Tax Credit Scholarship Program. Empower Illinois’ mission is to expand quality education options for low-income and working-class families. Illinois’ Invest in Kids Act Tax Credit Scholarship Program was created in 2017 to benefit children whose educational options are limited by household income or ZIP Code. Empower Illinois partners with approximately 91 percent of all recognized non-public schools in Illinois to support schools in their tax credit scholarship fundraising efforts, while assisting students and their families through the scholarship process. Empower Illinois’ scholarships, policy work, and advocacy provide families with options to help their children find success in their best-fit school.