Reserving your tax credit with Illinois Department of Revenue is a multi-step process. Before you begin, you’ll need to activate your mytax.illinois.gov
How to Reserve Your Tax Credit
- Visit the Illinois Department of Revenue and Login to your account.
- After accessing the correct account, select “I want to…Contribute to Invest in Kids.”
- You will need to select a Region where your funds will be designated (not necessarily where you live). Choose Empower Illinois as your SGO, then enter your scholarship pledge.
- Your scholarship pledge should be made for your full donation amount. The state will calculate your tax credit.
- The Illinois Department of Revenue will email you (within 3 business days) with instructions to log back into your account, click on the ‘Correspondence’ tab, and view your Invest in Kids Contribution Authorization Certificate (CAC).
- Once you have your certificate, return to Empower Illinois to make your donation.