The Tax Credit Scholarship for K-12 students will cover up to 100% of private school tuition up to a maximum of the average Illinois cost to educate, which is roughly $13,000.
Students with unique learning needs, including those who are gifted, English language learners, or those with special education qualifications, may be eligible to receive larger scholarships — up to double— roughly $26,000.
Tax Credit Scholarships are need based and do not take academic performance into consideration.
The application is a two-step process. First, reserve your place in line by completing a brief online form. After reserving your place in line, families will be emailed a unique link and use their reservation code to complete the full application.
Scholarships are for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Go to EmpowerIllinois.org beginning Tuesday, February 27 at 7:00 P.M. to start your application.
- Complete the form with your name and contact information to timestamp your application.
Note: This step will determine your place in line for the first-come, first-served scholarships
- Also submit your home address, the names of your children, their dates of birth, and your preferred school.
Note: Only one reservation and application are allowed per family – even if you are applying for several students.
- Take note of your confirmation code after completing your reservation.
- Wait to receive an email link to your unique application where you will complete it and upload all required documents. Emails will be sent on a rolling basis and may take several weeks.
- After your unique application link has been sent to you via email, you will have 7 days (168 hours in total) to submit your completed application and all required documents. It is important to make sure all required documents have been submitted. Empower Illinois will not be able to award any scholarships to students whose applications are incomplete, lacking required documents or submitted after 7 days (168 hours in total) of the application link having been sent.