Families of K-12 students can apply for scholarships beginning January 31, 2018.
The Tax Credit Scholarship will cover up to 100% of private school tuition up to a maximum of the average Illinois cost to educate, which is roughly $13,000.
Students with unique learning needs, including those who are gifted, English language learners, or those with special education qualifications, may be eligible to receive larger scholarships – up to double – roughly $26,000.
Tax Credit Scholarships are need based and do not take academic performance into consideration.
- Families submit a complete application.
- Families are notified of their application status.
- Students begin school admission and enrollment process.*
- Scholarship award notifications are sent to families beginning in February and continue until available funds are used.
- Funds will be distributed to schools at the start of the 2018-2019 school year. Empower Illinois will work directly with schools and organizations to distribute funds.
* The school admission process is separate from the scholarship process. A scholarship does not guarantee admittance.